Pomegranate & Rose Petit-Four Macarons
Elegant petit fours that are perfect for afternoon tea. Made with Five Valleys Pomegranate & Rose Cordial.
2 egg whites from free-range eggs
Few drops of lemon juice
50g caster sugar
90g ground almonds
120g icing sugar
Red food colouring gel
A few dried rose bud petals
30g unsalted butter
40ml Five Valleys Pomegranate & Rose Cordial
70g Icing sugar
50ml double cream
1. To make the macarons, ensure the eggs are at room temperature, then drop the egg whites into a bowl with a small pinch of salt. Whisk until the egg whites become frothy and add the drops of lemon juice.
2. Continue to whisk until the egg whites reach a stiff peak, then continue to whisk, slowly adding the caster sugar. Add the red food colouring.
3. Add your icing sugar and ground almonds into a food processor and pulse until the mixture is really fine. Sieve the mixture into your meringue, discarding any lumps of almond left in the sieve.
4. Fold the ground almonds and icing sugar into the meringue mixture and continue to do so until the mixture falls off of the spatula in ribbons.
5. Pour the mixture into a piping bag and using a small round nozzle (approx.1cm), pipe onto a baking tray with a silicon mat or greaseproof paper. You can draw out circles, use a macaron mould, or with a free-hand. You want your macarons to be slightly bigger than a £2 coin.
6. Once this is done, drop a small dried petal onto the edge of each macaroons and then allow to form a skin for about 20-30 minutes.
7. In the meantime, make the buttercream by adding the softened butter and the icing sugar into a bowl and beat together.
8. Add in the cordial, cream and continue to beat until everything comes together.
9. Put the macarons into a pre-heated oven at 150C for 15-20 minutes.
10. Once the macarons are baked, take off the baking tray, and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
11. After a few minutes, take one macaron shell and pipe some of the buttercream into the centre. Then with another macaron shell, sandwich them both together. You should have a perfectly dainty macaron!